Horse Care + Training: My Favorite Things

I've wanted to write a blog post of my favorite horse "things" for a while, mainly to have an available list when people ask me what I use.  I thought it would be an interesting topic, so here it is!  First, I'll take you out for the horse's morning feeding!

Feed & Treats


About 1/4 of what I feed my horses is from Triple Crown.  The rest is Standlee's Alfalfa & Timothy Pellets.  When I train them, I use DuMOR's Alfalfa Pellets for treats since they are larger and easier to hand feed.  I use Alfalfa Pellets for training instead of bagged treats or apples and carrots because they're a low-value reinforcer (not as high in sugar = not as desirable)!

My favorite treats are Standlee's Apple Berry Cookie Cubes.  My horses love them!  The only time I use these treats in training is when I ride Alamo (because they are more reinforcing).  Since they are more reinforcing, I only use them because I have taught Alamo manners around food.  I also use the Probios Probiotic Treats to give them some extra probiotics.

Supplements

I've chosen feeds that already have a lot of nutrients and minerals, so I don't use many supplements.  For deworming the horses, I use Fir Meadow Dewormer and give the horses Ivermectin once a year.

A few weeks ago, Cloud (my miniature horse) had a minor case of colic.  I treated him with probiotics, peppermint leaves, and chamomile flowers, and he was so much better within a few hours.  I did some research and found that peppermint leaves are a preventative for colic also.  I've been getting 16oz. bags of wild harvested peppermint leaves from Penn Herb.  I also get chamomile flowers from them, too.

Recently, I began giving Alamo ExcelEQ Equine Wellness Supplement to help his joints.  This supplement also aids weight gain and muscle development, keeps skin and coat healthy, and helps digestion.  I have noticed so many benefits from it with Alamo already.  I plan to put Ember on it - as well as all future mustangs.

Mustang Mission using Excel Supplements for horse care.

Horse Trainers & Training Tools

Throughout the years I have met and learned from many different horse trainers.  Many of them have great information, but there are several people whose training styles have resonated the most with me.  They are the ones that I've chosen to spend a lot of time learning from.

Madison Shambaugh (commonly known as Mustang Maddy) is by far the most influential horse trainer in my life.  I first learned about liberty and positive reinforcement training through her and soaked up all of her information.  Her team has been really helpful in answering my questions and I continue learning so much from her!  

One of the most recent trainers I heard of is Emma Massingale.  I was really inspired by the relationship she has with her horses.  She is a trainer in England and is probably most known for her documentary, The Island Project (when she trained two unhandled Connemaras on an island alongside four trained horses without any ropes or whips).

Kelly Wilson is a fantastic trainer from New Zealand, specializing in training the Kaimanawas (NZ's wild horses).  I am currently reading her book "Taming the Wild" which goes through the milestones of training a wild horse.  In 2015, Kelly Wilson and her sisters came to the United States to train mustangs for the Extreme Mustang Makeover.  Her work with wild horses is amazing!

I've learned so much from Sam Vanfleet over the years  She has a lot of videos on the gentling process, which has been incredibly helpful to me!  Sam travels all over the country teaching clinics and lessons - don't miss out on a chance to learn from her if she's in your area!

Lastly, I have just started learning from Lindsey Partridge.  To say that her training is helpful is a complete understatement!  Her horses trust her so much that she can take them into some of the noisiest and most crowded areas.  Her tips on helping horses find relaxation has been so beneficial to me.

I don't use many training tools, but this handheld target is my go-to!  Horses learn how to target (touch) the target, which I can use to help them relax, lead, etc.

Tack

Weaver Leather tack is the best!  I love my surcingle from them and I especially love their Big Sky Rope Halter collection.  The rope halters are the most flexible and soft ones I've worked with.  Another great tack store is Ridge Creek Tack!  Their lead ropes are the best (in my opinion!).  Since Ember is going to start work under saddle soon, I plan to buy one of their hackamores.  I'm excited to try it out!

Weaver Leather Rope Halter on Alamo, a mustang.

Above: Alamo's Weaver Leather rope halter.
Below: Ember's halter and lead set from Ridge Creek Tack and surcingle from Weaver Leather.

Mustang with a halter and lead rope from Ridge Creek Tack.

Grooming

I'm not sure I would even consider using a different brand of grooming products!  Green Horse Organics uses essential oils in all of its products, which I love.  I have several of their products, but my favorites so far are the Total Horse Protection Fly Spray and the Equine Beauty Balm.  GHO is committed to using only the highest quality of natural, organic, fair trade, and wildcrafted ingredients.  Their products are great for humans, too!  I would highly recommend checking out their website!

Mustang Mission using Green Horse Organics fly spray during summer.

I hope that this summary of my favorite things was helpful to you!  Let me know in the comments below if it was!

Comments

  1. Erin, you did a great job with this post- and all the posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such good information Erin!!. I’m impressed that you have found all the natural and organic products. I assume you get these online?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, I do get most of the organic products online. This spring/summer I plan to grow my own peppermint plants, though.

      Delete
  3. The best Article that I have never seen before with useful content and very informative.Thanks for sharing info. Horse Trainer Near Me

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Submit your comment here

Popular posts from this blog

Ember is Available for Adoption!

Freedom Given Back: Renegade's Story

Update on the Cumberland Island Wild Horses