Why Do I Rescue Wild Horses?

Throughout the past year, I often asked myself questions to help me reexamine this mustang rescue purpose and how I can continue in this work successfully. Often, I have to remind myself why I began Mustang Mission. I’ll be honest, at times I’ve doubted my decision to start a mustang rescue. It hasn’t been easy, but as I continue pressing on, I realize more and more how blessed and honored I am that rescuing animals is a main part of my life. I want to share with you the questions I’ve asked myself and the answers to those questions.

Why do I think that rescuing mustangs and burros is important? Mustangs and burros are amazing animals. They are incredibly smart and talented. None of them should be wasting away in holding pens since the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) won’t consider releasing them back into the wild.  Most mustangs removed will become willing partners if given the chance.  Some mustangs aren’t great candidates for being gentled and should be released onto a sanctuary, if possible.  I plan to offer a sanctuary to those mustangs someday.

Also, when we rescue mustangs we show people that we’re willing to give the mustangs a chance. Those around us will see that mustangs have much ability and may consider adopting one themselves. Today, there are many options to adopt a mustang or burro - from untouched to years of training. When others ask us about our mustangs, we can share their stories and inspire others to get involved in the fight to save wild horses.

Why do I want to tell their stories? If we didn’t tell mustangs and burros’ stories, people would never know the challenges they face from government agencies and private interests. Each time someone sees one of my rescued mustangs, I’m able to share why that horse is with me, instead of living wild in their natural habitat where they belong.

Why don’t I dedicate all my time to advocating for mustangs and burros in the wild? While advocating for mustangs and burros in the wild is crucial, a safe place must be provided for as many of those captured as possible. I have found that is what God has called me to do. While I’m rescuing them, I am passionate about telling their stories, thus advocating for mustangs and burros in the wild in a different way. Also, the BLM would capture just as many each year, even if none were adopted.

Eye of a wild horse rescued by Erin Phillips at Mustang Mission

Why do I continue, even when it gets difficult? Because these horses matter. They matter to God, to me, and to so many people. I have decided to make a difference, no matter the cost. At times that difference seems a long time in coming and that is when I begin wondering if it’s truly worth the sacrifice of time and energy. I’ve continually reminded myself that I’m not in this for personal gain, but for the horses. If I keep that in focus, my sacrifices will seem small and insignificant - especially in light of what every captured mustang and burro has gone through.

As I have begun this small mustang and burro rescue, there are often so many things that I’ve been worried about. I become overwhelmed when I take matters into my own hands! I continually remind myself of my theme verse from the Bible, “Not one of them is forgotten before God,” Luke 12:6. This means that I don’t have to worry because God loves and cares for these animals and He is in control and taking care of everything! After all, isn’t that what I am teaching my horses every day - to trust and know that everything will be okay? So often I find that the lessons I teach my horses I need to learn myself!

Lastly, I continue because I have a far bigger goal for this journey than any of you may imagine! Someday - I don’t know how far into the future it is - I would love to begin a ministry to help at-risk children using the mustangs to help them find God’s healing and peace. I would greatly appreciate your prayers for this. ❤️

Why should you care about mustangs and burros? First, because God says that “A righteous man regardeth the life of his beast,” Proverbs 12:10. Mustangs and burros are your animals! You pay for their management and care with your tax dollars. We must all stand up and do our best to stop this awful management of our mustangs and burros. You should care because the government is using this management program as a way to destroy our ecosystem and, ultimately, our country.

Thank you for being a part of this journey and for sticking with me. It means so much to see many caring people come together and stand up for animals that are being abused, neglected, and mismanaged. Since they don’t have a voice, let’s make sure the government knows that they’ll never stop hearing ours!

Let’s continue on and never give up! 🌟

-Erin

P.S. If you would like to donate to help me continue this work, I’d be so grateful and honored!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ember is Available for Adoption!

Freedom Given Back: Renegade's Story

Update on the Cumberland Island Wild Horses