A wild horse training adventure...🚀


Well, it’s been a busy week!  Rocket has been doing great with his training and has learned to lead very well.  Last Thursday, I decided to work on him standing relaxed in the gateway of his pen to prepare him for moving on to another paddock soon (often mustangs are wary of gateways).  He did well and was comfortable with standing there.  Right when I was about to back him up and close the gate, he decided to step forward and eat the grass a few feet away.  He took a mouthful and then suddenly ran away from me into our front yard!  I was shocked.  Another adventure had begun…

Two hours later, I was still trying to get him back, but he was enjoying his freedom.  I could approach him and lead him a little, but he was having the time of his life galloping laps around our front yard.  Some of my family came out to help and even got Ember out to see if Rocket would follow her, but that didn’t really help.

At around 3pm, Rocket decided that the front yard was boring and ventured through the woods onto the power line fields next to our property.  I quickly realized that something more drastic would have to happen.  I called my brother, Isaac, who grabbed my long rope and ran out.

Also, next to our property is hundreds of acres of forest that were recently harvested.  Rocket suddenly saw the enormous expanse of land before him and began running once again.  Isaac and I followed closely behind while my Mom got Ember again.

Two hours later, Isaac was able to attach the rope to Rocket’s halter.  After a few times of having to remind Rocket that he had to respect the pressure from the lead rope, Isaac quietly lead Rocket back home.  I decided to put Rocket in the backyard since he wouldn’t return to his other pen.  Thirty feet outside of the backyard, Rocket decided he didn’t want to go any further.  After coaxing him with Rye Grass from another one of my horse pens, he calmly walked in.  We breathed a sigh of relief and thanked God for helping everything end so well.

Rocket has settled into life in our backyard very well and it’s so nice to see him in a bigger area.  He’s continuing to learn a lot of important life skills, too!

I’m so thankful that everything worked out well last Thursday and that Rocket is safely back!  It was another interesting adventure and learning experience.  I am so grateful to God for working everything out and for my family - especially for my brother, Isaac (who stopped his work day to get Rocket back), and my Mom!  Both of them stuck with me for most of the day, following Rocket through some difficult areas.  I am also so thankful for Ember, my little mustang mare who worked alongside us for several hours.  She was a trooper!

I am learning from this experience and making plans to ensure it doesn’t happen again.  There are always risks with rescuing wild horses, but I am looking forward to continuing to build a wonderful mustang rescue facility that will make this kind of job easier!

Thank you for joining me on this wild adventure…🐴

-Erin

Below: Rocket enjoys some freedom in our front yard during his escape.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ember is Available for Adoption!

Freedom Given Back: Renegade's Story

Georgia's Wild Horses Need Your Help!