A Tale of Two Horses

Within my mustang herd is a tiny horse with a big attitude - Cloud. Cloud has been my constant companion for nearly thirteen years. When I was just seven, my parents (not knowing that older horses are better for younger people) bought me Cloud, who was a spunky, headstrong five-month-old colt. He was (and still is) very spicy!

Unfortunately, none of us realized that horses need companions of their own species, so Cloud lived by himself next to an assortment of farm animals for almost eleven years. However, he still had a fun life as I spent a lot of time with him every day and took him for long walks. I'm sure that when Alamo jumped off the trailer onto our property he couldn't believe his eyes. He did not know what he was in for!

Since then, Cloud has been the first horse to meet each mustang, and I plan to keep it that way. When he meets a gelding, he does his best to strike an intimidating pose, kicking and screaming at them. It seems like an attempt to establish his dominance - although very unsuccessful! When he meets a mare, he acts like a little band stallion and tries to snake her away from the other horses. He is hilarious! I can hardly wait to see what he does when he meets a donkey for the first time (he'll probably be scared of it 😂)! It seems fitting that the only horse I have that isn't a mustang is named after one (Cloud, Wild Stallion of the Rockies). He definitely lives up to his name.

A few months ago, Jackson arrived. Jackson is a big (15hh+) 2 1/2-year-old mustang who has spent the first few years of his life in government holding pens with a herd of other colts. He hasn't learned boundaries! I like to think of Jackson as a very oversized puppy. He would sit in my lap if he could - I'm quite positive he's already tried!

Needless to say, I think Cloud's finally met his match in spunk!

Jackson likes Cloud and wants to play with him. Thankfully, Jackson realizes the size difference and is careful not to be too rough!

Cloud and Jackson's scuffles occur frequently, but are hilarious, so I wanted to capture it for you. Let me know if you have a favorite image (and if you want to hang it on your wall😁)!

Cloud pestering Jackson.

I'll leave you to your own imagination to figure out what Cloud is thinking!

Jackson with his cute baby face, just wondering when he'll be fed. 😊 

Ember - the leader of chaos for a while, now tries to stay away from Cloud and Jackson.  She likes to partake in their activities every now and then, though!

Jackson - "Food ready yet?"

Is Cloud whispering in his ear?  Doesn't look like he's saying something encouraging...
Well, if I had to guess, I'd say he's actually trying to bite Jackson! 😬

Now it looks like Jackson is whispering in Cloud's ear!

Cloud has something to say about that...

Jackson has had enough and figures it's time to give Cloud what he deserves!

Cloud has some big teeth.  My own skin has been between those teeth more times than I can count - not on purpose.  Ouch. 🤕

Wow.  Cloud can make some faces.  (don't worry, he's fine - just very expressive)

Freed from Jackson's grip, he immediately goes to land a big bite on Jackson's neck.

Sorry, Cloud, you're just a bit too small to reach!

Cloud defeated (just for now), Jackson decides he can relax.

This is literally what I watch almost every day.  Cloud is perfectly fine and is usually the one that starts these play-fighting matches.  He knows what he's getting into and must enjoy it!

Horse behavior is certainly interesting and often very entertaining!


Comments

  1. Everybody needs a mustang and a mini in their life! Thank you for bringing a big smile to my face. You have captured some great pictures and Cloud has sure some great expressions (very dramatic ;-)). Doris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, they definitely keep me entertained!

      Delete
  2. The many faces of Cloud are hysterical. I was laughing out-loud all by myself! Jackson sure has come a long way since he exploded from your trailer with our two mustangs, Wyoming and Moon, on 10/19/2023! What a day that was. You have bonded in such a special way with Jackson and you can see his love, trust, and contentment in all of his expressions with his little buddy Cloud! I am so thankful our paths have crossed in life…and we have our Wild Ones to thank for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jackson has come so far! I'm so glad that we got to experience getting wild horses together!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Submit your comment here

Popular posts from this blog

Ember is Available for Adoption!

Freedom Given Back: Renegade's Story

Georgia's Wild Horses Need Your Help!